Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Everly Zahara is Here!

This blog post doesn't really have a whole lot to do with missionary life. It is the birth story of our third baby girl, Everly Zahara. It's not super graphic, but if you don't like birth stories, skip this one. :)
For months and months the girls and I have been praying that our new baby would come after Grandma gets here, but then right away once she arrives so that we can spend lots of time with her and the new baby. We also were praying that she would be born safely, quickly and easily at the hospital. I prayed there would be no traffic so we would arrive quickly at the hospital and I also prayed she would be born at a time of day that My mom and the girls could come visit us right away. (Unlike if she was born in the night). God has answered every prayer in a clear way. I feel so blessed to have had the labor and delivery experience that I did!
Six Days to go!
My doctor kept telling me that she didn't think I would make it to my due date of March 18th. My Mom was set to come in on the 15th so we were praying that baby would hold out at least until then! Well, after much anxious waiting, my Mom arrived and we found our anticipation had switched to getting this baby here! I had decided that it would be really perfect for her to come on the 16th. There would be a full moon, my mom would be here, we would have plenty of time to be with the new baby and there would be no more waiting.
Well, of course the 16th came and went and it was a good reminder there was nothing we could really do to make this baby come apart from God's perfect timing. So we enjoyed our time and continued to wait. It was actually good because everyone was exhausted from the night before where we were up late after picking up my mom from the airport.
Then, after two good night's sleep...
I had woken up a few times in the night to go to the bathroom and also settle the girls back into bed. Each time I noticed that my normal Braxton Hicks contractions were feeling crampy and a bit more uncomfortable than normal. In the morning I was having more uncomfortable cramping and feeling hopeful that maybe things were getting closer.
I took the girls down to get some breakfast and made myself some toast. The cramps were uncomfortable enough that it felt better to eat my breakfast standing. After I finished I decided the cramping plus the noise of the girls was too much. So I asked my Mom if they could just finish their breakfast with her so I could go upstairs.
At 9am I decided to try and time the cramps because it did seem that they came and went but they didn't feel like full abdominal contractions. They became more and more uncomfortable and I found they were the worst and closest together when I was up walking around. So I found the best spot was kneeling on a pillow at the foot of the bed and hanging my upper body and arms over the bed. I did this in each room upstairs as the kids moved in and out and were playing. I finally settled in my room and was able to be left alone for the most part.
After running out of water and hearing the kids fight I began to wonder why Mat or my Mom hadn't come to check on me. (In their defense they had no reason to think I was laboring while they drank their coffee). Nia peeked in on me at one point so I asked her to go get me more water. She faithfully returned shortly with a full water bottle. So sweet.
Around 10:30a Mat came in. He asked if we were going to have the baby today. "I think so." I answered. I still didn't want to be too sure and get my hopes up. Yet with how intense these cramping contractions were I really couldn't imagine that it would all be for nothing.
Mat began to massage my back and then my Mom took over as Mat began to pack the remaining things for our hospital bag. We began trying to figure out if it was true labor and if we should get a ride. Mat called Carrie Maples who was unavailable and then asked Michelle (our neighbor) but their car wouldn't start. She happened to have a friend over who had an appointment that day in the direction of Aga Khan (our hospital) but it would mean we would have to leave now.
My mom did massage while Dora kept me warm.
I still wasn't convinced I was in full blown labor. I was pretty sure it had started but I never want to go in too early. The cramps were getting really intense especially if I couldn't stay focused on being relaxed, but I didn't feel like it was doing the whole pulling up to open and pushing down to get baby out. But as I looked at the numbers on my contraction timer they definitely had been averaging at least 5 min apart and lasting a minute for over an hour. Finally Mat said something that I took as a definitive opinion that we should leave. As we were heading out I decided to try and use the bathroom one last time. As I got another contraction my body started to feel "pushy" and it kinda scared me. I brushed it off and figured it was just having to go to the bathroom, but really I was slightly concerned to get into a stranger's car that likely would get stuck in traffic.
As I got in the car I went on my hands and knees to try and handle the next contraction. Again I felt the pressure of the contraction and almost told them I didn't think we should try and make it. I decided to keep quiet and just pray we made it to the hospital.
It was an amazingly beautiful day out and somehow there was no traffic (a near miracle in Nairobi). My contractions continued to get stronger and closer together and I even started to not be able to catch my breath (something that always happens to me during transition, just before pushing). The pressure continued and I focused on just trying to stay calm knowing that fear would only make the contractions more painful. I convinced myself that if it came to it, I could hold this baby off!
Despite a pedestrian hitting our car on the way, we arrived at the hospital in what seemed to be miraculous timing. Mat ran around the hospital to get a wheel chair (which ended up being broken so we had to get another one). As I sat there in serious labor, the hospital parking guard kept trying to talk to me and get me out of the car. "Seriously?!" I thought, "Can't you see I'm busy here?!" Finally, once I got into the wheel chair I said to Mat, "I may be wrong, but I think we need to hurry!" Mat told the nurses to hurry and that I was about to have the baby. He was more sure of the situation that I was. I had at least two contractions on the way to the delivery room and with each one I warned them that I was feeling a lot of pressure and Mat reminded them to hurry.
Once we got into the delivery room I asked the nurse if I could use the bathroom first. She asked if she could check me because sometimes the feeling is actually the baby coming. I agreed. She asked me to undress to change into a gown. I only got my pants half off before the next contraction came. My body began to push and I started to feel what I assume was the baby crowning. "She's coming!" I informed the nurses.
The nurse remained very calm and informed me that we would continue but the doctor may not make it. "No kidding." I thought. With the help of the nurse I climbed on the bed onto all fours. "Is that how you want to be?" The nurse asked. "I think so." I answered.
"Here comes another one." I managed to get out in my attempt to make sure the nurses were paying attention incase something happened. I began to feel my body take over and the baby crown. As the nurses told me to push I relaxed my body remembering my best chances of preventing tears was to let my body deliver her in it's own time. Feeling a big gush as the contraction finished, I looked down and saw my baby come out head to toe! "She's here!" I exclaimed in shock. I could not believe it!!
We got everyone cleaned up and all continued to marvel at her speedy entry! Dr. Carvalho arrived very shortly after. She asked for the time of birth and everyone kind of looked at each other and laughed. In the quickness and chaos no one noted the time. Mat looked at what time he texted my mom and made a guesstimate off of that!
With my new baby girl after we recovered from the whirlwind of her birth!
"Should I ask them to start filling up the tub?" Mat joked as we gazed at our new baby girl. "I just can't have my water birth can I?" I smiled. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Everly Zahara born March 18th, 2014 (on her due date)
at 12:10pm(ish)
3.5kilos (7lbs 7 oz) 50cm (19.5in)

No comments:

Post a Comment