Sunday, April 20, 2014

Let's Catch Up!

So it's only been like what? A Year? Yep, almost! Sorry about that. (Not that I have a huge flock of followers that have been checking up on my blog just dying for news!) But I'd like to think that some people read it and are interested in what has been going on here.

I guess that is just it though, up until recently I really haven't felt like there has been anything to report. Life was the "same ol', same ol'" but... well... in Africa. Apparently around the time I sent out the blog titled, "Friends Can We Talk" I, myself became pregnant unknowingly! Surprise! Well, that led to three months of lying in bed sick with my neighbors thinking that maybe I had the worse case of Malaria ever! (Ok, not ever because people actually die from Malaria.)

Moving on. Like all my other pregnancies, once I started to feel better I seemed to only be capable of growing a baby and taking care of any immediate need that my family had. (Like that annoying eating thing that has to happen three times EVERY SINGLE DAY!) I suppose that severe anemia played a role also -that was fun!

Well, through this time we helped two pastors and their families move to a Bible school 16+ hours away. September we took a vacation in Nairobi and pet some baby elephants. In October we celebrated three of our birthdays and my parents came to visit!

November we had to take Thailie 6 hours to Arusha for tooth pain where we had a traumatic experience ending in me, five months pregnant, lying in the chair holding my drugged 5 year old on top of me who was screaming with seven IV attempts in her arm! (Let's just say we won't be going back there again!) December was a full month with an AIM conference quickly followed by a month of short termers living with us and helping to celebrate Christmas with our Muslim neighbors.

January we found out the dental work Thailie had done got infected (super surprised and excited about that!) So we got to go back to the dentist only this time in Nairobi, a 6 hour drive and 5 hour shuttle ride! One bonus was we met an amazing couple, The Judy's that took great care of us, fed us waffles for dinner, were hugely helpful and even took the girls to see Frozen!

February brought us out of the village again where we awaited the arrival of our beautiful baby girl. Last month, in March, our third little girl Everly Zahara was born (Stay tuned for that post). My Mom was able to come visit and help out. What a huge blessing and answer to prayer that was!

Now it is April. We have already celebrated Nia turning 3, attended a marriage retreat, Thailie lost her first tooth and we just celebrated Easter! We also have finally, after four attempts, secured Everly's Kenyan birth certificate and now await our appointment with the US Embassy on the 23rd. At that appointment we will apply for a passport and SS card for her. Once we receive those we will finally return to our team in the bush!

Whew! I guess it hasn't quite been "life as usual" out here! As always, we appreciate your prayers and have seen the direct results in so many situations! Thank you all for your continued support even when you didn't always know all the details of what was going on. We are blown away at how blessed we are to be backed by our many wonderful supporters!

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Miranda, Mat and Girls,
    It is wonderful to hear news of how you are doing. You are in our thoughts and prayers all the way here in Montana. I am married to one of Mat's Dad's cousins on his grandma Adams side. I had your blog bookmarked on my computer until a certain 6 yr old with apraxia in my house decided to factory restart the entire computer. 5 months later and I am still trying to get all my old bookmarks back on as I either remember them, find the site again, or just plain remember to take the time to do it.

    ReplyDelete