Monday, April 29, 2013

Oh Happy Day!

Over the kati, through the shamba to Mama S's house we go!
This would totally pass the safety tests in America right?!
Don't be alarmed. We do this quite frequently. Helmets? Check! Knee pads? Check! Elbow pads? Check! Wrist guards? Check! Nia's shoes... Umm, ok, maybe you should be alarmed! Yes, this is how we traveled to Sambwa. Nia tied to Thailie's back with a kanga, Thai hanging onto me or the seat, me biking, our stuff in the basket and off we go! We rode bikes like this to Jared and Megan's house, parked our bikes there and then followed Megan through the sunflower fields back towards the mountain. The man who owns Jared and Megan's house has a third wife (yep) who lives back towards where we were told Mama S's family lives.
Heading towards the mountain not quite sure what we would find.
It was about a twenty minute walk on a small path where all you can see is sunflowers, millet and corn. The crops have grown up so high it blocks anything in peripheral view. We continued on this route for quite some time until we got to a clearing of a few houses only to find no one home. As we continued to walk further back my emotions stirred with the anticipation of finding her or not. I wondered what she would think and how the rest of the day would go.
We got to the next clearing of a few houses and could hear some kids shouting "Wazungu! Wazungu!" One of the women in sight turned around in shock and exclaimed, "Mama Nia! Akajamani!" to our surprise it was Mama S! Joy and excitement came like a flood! She repeatedly proceeded to alternate phrases of both welcoming and disbelief as we approached their home, entered and were seated. I have to say that I was definitely overcome by not only her response of joy, but also the overwhelming emotions of my own from seeing her and Baby S again. It was beyond words.
We sat and hung out, met a lot of her family, ate and just enjoyed being together again. The kids made themselves at home like they always do with Her. It was so great. As we ate we talked about how she had left, what her husband was doing now, when she would come back etc, etc. I didn't gain a whole lot of insight as to what actually happened but I did see that she cares for him and has been upset ever since leaving. She said she has been sad thinking about us everyday and wondering how everyone is. She has missed him, us and Busi in general.
After hanging out for awhile she asked if we could all go together to get mapera (guava) before we leave. So we headed out even further back through the fields, across a small nearly trickling river bed, up and down a few hills and into an opening where the mapera trees are. It was such an amazing way to spend the afternoon. The kids climbed the trees knocking guavas down to Mama S who piled them in a bag for us to take home. After awhile we just lounged around in the shade of the trees eating mapera, talking and watching the kids play. There was something so charming about our time out there—so natural, so carefree. Nothing felt forced as if I were out there because it was the right thing for a missionary to do. It also helped that we didn't feel like the "white monkeys" in the zoo. Just friends spending time together. It was a very enjoyable, simple afternoon!
Through out our time Mama S and I continued to talk a bit more about her and Baba S's situation. By the end she told me, "Tell Him that I'm sorry —I miss him, I miss Busi. I'm sick of Sambwa. I want him to come get me tomorrow morning." She repeated that to me many times to make sure that with the language barrier I got it all and really understood. I would repeat it back to her for her approval.
We stayed awhile longer after returning from our adventure, but it was getting dark which meant we had to be going. Alima and the kids walked us out through the fields to Megan's house and sent us on our way with a gift of corn, guavas, and oranges. She reminded me once more of her message to her husband. I left both elated and uncertain. I was so filled with joy to see my friend again yet concerned for what her future may hold.
When we came home (in the rain on the bike!) we saw Baba S out at his house. Mat went over to talk with him and get his machete sharpened while I joined them a bit later. He asked how Baby S was, asked how our time was. He seems genuinely to care for his family. I told him all that she said. He smiled and listened and then thanked me. Anytime we ask about her he just says, "Not yet." So we will continue to pray and know that God is working whatever the outcome.

1 comment:

  1. The best is getting the long version in a movie theater parking lot on my phone!!

    ReplyDelete