Monday, August 27, 2012

A Spark

Recently I noticed my neighbor's swelling belly and found out that in African culture you typically don't announce being pregnant. It is a secret for you and your husband until your belly is too big to hide. I was excited about this discovery because they are our direct neighbors, a young couple that we have eaten dinner with at least 3 times and they don't have any kids yet. Judging by her belly I was guessing she was about 6 months along.

Well, today there was a number of women gathered around her house coming in and out. An older woman came over and said something about Alima and a baby and it seemed she was inviting me to go with her. I wasn't sure what she was saying and thought maybe they do something to announce the pregnancy or something, like an African version of a baby shower?? So I followed her to find out.

I greeted the women sitting outside and a few more on stools inside the house. From behind a curtain I heard, "Tengi Mama Thailie!" (which means "Welcome", and they call you by your first born's name). I walked through the curtain into her dim bedroom to find her lying down with her breast uncovered. I thought, "Could she have actually had the baby?" I looked and there was a small bundle of kangas next to her. She sat up to greet me and the bundle let out a squawk. Picking it up she presented to me her tiny new baby girl! I could not believe it! It was an amazing surprise!

In Rangi culture, we have been told, no man is allowed to see the new mom for a month after the baby is born. They bring the baby out from time to time to show the husband and others, but only the women are allowed in to see the mother. No Rangi man knows what actually goes on during that month after the birth. I felt so privileged to be personally invited into this sacred time. I'm not entirely sure when the baby was born, but I'm pretty certain I got to hold her within her first 24hours of life outside the womb. It was so calm, so peaceful, so beautiful! It brought back all the desires I have had to be a midwife. I can't imagine what it would be like to be apart of a birth where the mother is in her own little home, surrounded by a handful of women with years of life and experience, who love her and care for her as she makes the transition into motherhood!



No comments:

Post a Comment